Shelley Lake History
Shelley Lake was named for John Francis Shelley, who homesteaded the area in 1881. The 640-acre parcel of land, including the lake and surrounding area, was given to a Shelley family member in payment for service in the Civil War. While the Shelley family owned the property, the area around the lake was declared a neutral zone where Indian tribes could come to negotiate disputes. The lake was used for ice skating and miniature hydroplane races. In the early 1950s, the Rice family purchased a portion of the Shelley land, including the lake area. At that time, the property was used for cattle grazing and the Rice family's meat packing operation.

The homes of the 1st Addition of the Shelley Lake Estates development were built in the late 1990s, followed by the homes of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th Additions. Construction continues with homes being built in the 5th (final) addition on the southwest end of the development.


The Lake


Shelley Lake is a natural rural lake with a surface area of approximately 21 acres, fed by Saltese Creek and underground springs. It is approximately 25 feet deep. The lake is surrounded by a pedestrian trail with various access points, including paved walkways between 715 and 805 S. Shelley Lake Lane and between 423 and 503 S. Shelley Lake Lane. There is a third gravel surface access point located at the intersection of Shelley Lake Lane and 9th Lane just south of 921 S. Shelley Lake Lane.  The lake, trail, and property between the lake and trail, are designated as a Common Area and managed by the Board of Directors of the Association.

Shelley Lake Estates residents and their guests are invited to utilize the pedestrian trail, including the hiking trail on the east side of the lake. Please stay on or below this hiking trail, as the property above is owned by a private party. Wildlife that can be seen in and around the lake include: Canadian geese, ducks, osprey, pheasant, quail, blue heron, white tail deer, marmots, rabbits, fish, frogs, turtles and many others.

Entry Gates


Shelley Lake Estates is a gated community with four mechanical entrance gates that allow access to the development. Gates 1, 3, and 4 provide access to the Lake side of the community (east of Conklin/Rotchford), and are located at Fifth Ave, Galway Lane, and 10th Lane respectively. Gate 2 provides access to the Shelley Lake West (Reflections) side of the community (west of Conklin/Rotchford), and is also located at Fifth Ave. Each mechanical entry gate also has a pedestrian gate to allow safe and easy access for pedestrians, strollers, bicycles, etc. For security, the gates are closed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, except for open houses and special events.

Homeowners may access the community by entering their assigned access code at the gate control panel or by using a gate remote. For gate questions please contact the gatekeepers at gatekeepers@shelleylake.org

Guests may access the community by finding a homeowner's name on the gate directory and entering the three digit code listed by the homeowner name. This will ring the homeowner's phone and allow them to open the gate remotely to allow their guests in.

To request that the gates stay open for a period of time for a special event, please enter your request on our community website at http://shelleylake.org/Gate_information/Gate_information.htm. Please allow 48 hours for special requests to be processed.

Shelley Lake Estates Homeowners Association, PO Box 1872 Veradale, WA 99037 @ 2009. All rights reserved.